IMPORTANT MESSAGE: CONSTRUCTION AT LA SENTINEL OFFICE: Due to unforeseen construction work, our office is temporarily closed. We are operating business off site and still accepting ads and classified ads. View Company Directory.
AKA member supporters of the Race for the Cure event
Race for the Cure Attracts 15,000
By Francis Taylor
Sentinel Staff Writer
The 14th Annual Susan G. Koman Los Angeles County Race for the Cure, held recently at Dodger Stadium just north of Downtown Los Angeles, attracted 15,000 supporters and raised $1.2 million to provide both the medically underserved and uninsured population in Los Angeles County.
The Koman Race for the Cure Series raises significant funds and awareness for the fight against breast cancer, celebrates cancer survivorship, and honors those who have lost their battle with the disease.
Event day featured dozens of corporate sponsors and thousands of individuals; men, women, boys and girls of all ages, races, and ethnic orientation were on hand as race participants, to celebrate the survivorship of their friends and loved-ones and general supporters of the Race for the Cure.
The Los Angeles Sentinel and KJLH Radio FM 102.3 were two of the more familiar exhibitors who were set-up to offer information to the participants.
75% of funds raised by this leading edge not-for-profit organization, which focuses solely on breast cancer, stays in our community and goes directly to local services and resources for Los Angeles County residents. The remaining 25% goes directly to national research.
Over the past 13 years, over $7.5 million has been distributed to agencies in Los Angeles that support local breast cancer services and national breast cancer research programs.
A number of celebrities were on hand to lend their support of the Race for the Cure event, some as runners and others to support the cause and to commemorate the survival of family members.
Actress Nia Long, well known for her television and movie roles as well as opposite actor Will Smith and others, addressed the crowd and reflected upon a family member who survived breast cancer encouraging her to get involved and directing others to seek early detection for breast cancer prevention.
It is not generally known that breast cancer if the most common cancer among women, regardless of their race. It is less common but more aggressive in women over 50 and African-American women are more likely to be diagnosed with advanced disease, usually because they frequently do not have the resources for regular medical care and they have the highest death rate.
Another fact is that early detection and treatment of breast cancer contribute significantly to breast cancer survival. Women should begin monthly self breast exams at age 20 and clinical exams every three years. By age 40, annual mammograms as well as doctor administered breast exams should supplement monthly self-exams.
The annual event, which continues to grow each year, advanced its aim of living up to its promise; to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality of care for all and energizing science to find the cures.