IMPORTANT MESSAGE: CONSTRUCTION AT LA SENTINEL OFFICE: Due to unforeseen construction work, our office is temporarily closed. We are operating business off site and still accepting ads and classified ads. View Company Directory.
Former Los Angeles Mayor James Hahn was appointed last Wednesday as a Los Angeles Superior Court judge by California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. Hahn, a 58-year-old Democrat from San Pedro, was Los Angeles' city controller from 1981 to 1985, city attorney from 1985 to 2001 and mayor from 2001 to 2005. He was defeated in a bid for a second term by Antonio Villaraigosa, whose sister Mary Lou Villar was appointed by Schwarzenegger as a Los Angeles Superior Court judge in 2006.
Hahn worked as managing director for Chadwick, Saylor & Co. from 2005 to 2007, and has served as a mediator for the Alternative Resolution Center since January.
"I miss public service," Hahn told the Los Angeles Times.
Hahn's sister, City Councilwoman Janice Hahn, told The Times her brother is deliberative, fair and "the smartest person I know."
"I think it's perfect for him at this point in his life."
Also named by Schwarzenegger as Superior Court judges were:
- Michael D. Abzug, 59, of Los Angeles, who has worked as an administrative law judge for the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board since 2001.
- Teresa A. Beaudet, 55, of Los Angeles, who has worked as an associate and now-partner at Mayer, Brown, Row & Maw since 1988.
- David C. Brougham, 46, of San Marino, who has been a Los Angeles County deputy district attorney since 1988.
- Debra Cole-Hall, 46, of Long Beach, who has been a Los Angeles County deputy district attorney since 1988.
- Karla D. Kerlin, 44, of Glendale, who has worked with the District Attorney's Office as a deputy-in-charge since March 2008 and special assistant and deputy district attorney from 1990 to 2008.
- Bernie C. LaForteza, 47, of Newhall, who has been a Los Angeles County deputy district attorney since 2005.
- Ricardo R. Ocampo, 43, of Rancho Palos Verdes, who has been a Los Angeles County deputy district attorney since 1995.
- Benny C. Osorio, 42, of Castaic, who has been a Los Angeles County deputy district attorney since 1995.
- Amy M. Pellman, 47, of Arcadia, who has been a Los Angeles Superior Court commissioner since 2005.
- Ronald H. Rose, 60, of Los Angeles, who has been a Los Angeles Superior Court commissioner since 2000.
- Ray A. Santana, 56, of South Pasadena, who has been a Los Angeles County deputy public defender since 1981.
- R. Carlton Seaver, 61, of Arcadia, who has been a partner at Seaver & Gill LLP since 1993.
- B. Scott Silverman, 59, of Los Angeles, who was named a Los Angeles Superior Court commissioner this year.
- Jon R. Takasugi, 45, of South Pasadena, who has been a Los Angeles County deputy alternate public defender since 1994.
- Robert C. Vanderet, 61, of Pacific Palisades, who is a retired partner of O'Melveny & Myers LLP.
- Mark A. Young, 39, of Santa Monica, who has been an executive assistant U.S. attorney with the U.S. Department of Justice since 1998.